Monday, March 3, 2014

Captivate Us

I am easily drawn to some things ~
 
the aroma of fresh-baked cookies,
the delicate bloom of the tulips on my dining table,
the sun streaming through my window with its warm, yellow rays,
and even the snow seen everywhere outside,
heaped in abundance, all white and glistening.
 
I am also easily drawn to things that are more personal to me ~
a baby's sweet smell and soft voice,
the smiles and laughter of my grandchildren,
a hug and warm look from my husband,
and the friendships and family I hold dear.
 
You might say that I am captivate by some of these things, being drawn to them by an irresistible charm that works its way into my mind, heart and soul. I imagine of you were to write a list of what you are drawn to or captivated by, you would have a list that is unique and personal to you as well as a few things many of us would list.
 
On the other hand, there are a few other things I am drawn to, such as ~
 
chocolate and sweets in general,
tv shows, movies, Facebook, Pinterest, and blogs,
 that are not necessarily bad, but I allow them to take up a lot of my time.
You might say that I also get captivated with them at times, and my time can get swallowed up by them,
and they can take the place of the things I listed earlier.
 
I do not have grandkids today, the house is quiet, and I am taking time to actually write a blog post from my heart,
 for my heart has been captivated by three things this morning:
 
  • God's word, especially a few verses I am concentrating on in prayer for a person who is struggling with cancer
  • Prayer for this person as well as others God has put on my heart
  • and music that is playing to draw me near to Him
One of the verses that came to mind is from 2 Corinthians 10:3-5
For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.
 
It is a pleasure to have a day when I can meditate on the word of God, renew my strength in Him and allow my mind to be captivated by Him. When I take time to do so, I am renewed for the days ahead when my time is filled by the activities that come my way and my time to read the word, pray and listen to Him is a little shorter. Even then, He continues to captivate me.
 
I remembered this song as I was thinking on these things this morning, and I hope it will be a joy for you to listen to. It is by Charlie Hall and Nathan and Chrisy Nockels (Watermark). I found the video on You Tube, but it is the words that will speak to you.

 
 

Captivate Us
By Charlie Hall and Watermark
 
 Your face is beautiful
And Your eyes are like the stars
Your gentle hands have healing
There inside the scars
Your loving arms they draw me near
And Your smile it brings me peace
Draw me closer oh my Lord
Draw me closer Lord to Thee

Captivate us Lord Jesus set our eyes on You
Devastate us with your presence falling down
And rushing river draw us nearer
Holy fountain consume us with You
Captivate us Lord Jesus with You
 
Your voice is powerful
And Your words are radiant bright
In Your breath and shadow
I will come close and abide
You whisper love and life divine
And Your fellowship is free
Draw us closer oh my Lord
Draw me closer Lord to thee

Captivate us Lord Jesus set our eyes on You
Devastate us with Your presence falling down
And rushing river draw us nearer
Holy fountain consume us with You
Captivate us Lord Jesus with You

And let everything be lost in the shadows
Of the light of your face
And let every chain be broken from me
As I'm bound in Your grace
For Your yoke is easy Your burden is light
You're full of wisdom power and might
And every eye will see You
And captivate captivate us Lord Jesus with You
Captivate us
 

2 comments:

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

I am captivated by many of the same things you are. Nice that you had a free day and was able to spend in this way. I have enjoyed reading your thoughts and especially the verses and the song that you shared

Ceil said...

Hi Laurie! This is such a beautiful post. All the things that captivate your heart, and the time to think about what does. It's kind of a spiritual inventory, isn't it?

This song reminds me not only of who Jesus is, but how I am called to be like him. I need to have gentle hands to heal, and loving arms too. So inspired and so inspiring! I just love the way you write.

Have a blessed day..well, it seems yesterday sure was :)
Ceil