Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Come and Sit a Spell



When the days warm up, I like to sit out on our front porch and listen to the songs of the birds outside. It is a small, enclosed porch and it still has the original windows with screens on some of them so that I can slide them open and feel the breezes. As I relax, I often feel the presence of the Lord, and I can imagine what it would be like to have Him sitting nearby.

It is easier to forget about the tasks I need to do, such as laundry, dishes or cleaning, because I am removed from them as I sit on the porch, and it becomes a refuge. I am encouraged to rest in Christ, as if leaning against Him, and hearing His heart beat. It is a wonderful place to have my Quiet Time with Him, reading His word and pouring my heart out to Him.

The porch is also a pleasant place to sit with friends and share a cup of tea or glasses of lemonade and iced tea, and to get caught up on what is going on in our lives. It is a favorite place for our grandchildren as they bring out toys to play with and as they stand at the screen door to watch the happenings of our neighborhood. In warm weather, there are several pots of flowers and herbs growing on the porch; their scents fill the space and their textures call out to be touched.

Porches have a way of saying "Come and sit a spell," causing us to relax and reflect. I look forward to the warm days when the front door is open to the porch announcing the coming of Spring!

The eternal God is your refuge,
and underneath are the everlasting arms.
Deuteronomy 33:27

 (all photos from personal files, Country Living, BHG, or public domain)




6 comments:

Laurie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laurie said...

LisaShaw said...
Beautiful photos. Sitting on a porch, with a cup of coffee, my Word and a friend or loved one just sharing about the LORD is something I love!

Blessings to you dear sister.

(Lisa posted this on a post I did seperately of the porches mosaic, but I move the mosaic to this post and copied her comment - Laurie)

Anonymous said...

Love this entry, Laurie! I can't wait to purchase furniture for our front and back decks. The back deck is open to the elements, but the front deck is covered. I love both decks for different reasons & can't wait to bask in the warm summer sun with tea, lemonaide....whatever is on the menu that day & my Bible. Ahhh, you touched my heart string here! Thank you!:)

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Beautiful and inviting. I can see how special it would be to spend quite time here. Great mosaic too!

Maxine said...

You porch sounds delightful, Laurie! I can just imagine how it must be to sit there with the Word and a cup of tea! No wonder your grandchildren like it out there. It's so nice to be "outside" in a private place. I can't wait until I can open the windows in my sunroom while I work on projects out there. The outside singing and goings on of the birds is a real pleasure. They are singing to and doing the bidding of the Creator, aren't they?

Anonymous said...

Hello Laurie,
The sofa and the beautiful cushion are very tempting for relaxing and drinking a nice cup of tea.
Thank you for your comments. I have not always the time to visit your blog but be sure I appreciate enormously your visit and comments.