Friday, June 27, 2014

Priorities in the Rain

I love the rain.

 
We seldom get long, rainy days, and usually in June it is hot and dry, a transition of what once was green from rains in April and May into the brownness of hot summer sun and winds.  But this June we have had rain, this spring we have had rain, all after a record-breaking winter of 100" of snow. It is softly raining now, and I am so thankful as I look out onto the patio and see the  thirsty potted flowers  and the flower gardens being gently washed in rain.
 
It has been a few weeks since I have not babysat fulltime, and this summer break gives me a chance to get caught up in the things I do not always take care of when my days are filled with the joy of toddlerhood. I have been digging into the pantry, sorting and organizing so that when I open the door, I am greeted by calm instead of chaos. I have been cleaning out drawers, tossing the slips of paper I put in randomly, mostly because I need the little notes as reminders, since I am quite forgetful, so forgetful that I forget I have put the little reminders in a drawer; can you relate? So far, I have organized a small dresser in our living area to hold placemats, tablecloths and napkins, as well as a drawer for the oft-needed items of scissors, tape, stapler and other desk-type items, a drawer that cannot reside in our kitchen as it did at our Dear Old House. Now the hutch drawers can breathe, no longer stuffed with linens that didn't really fit and the occasional whatnots added in.

Today, I had hoped to tackle our bedroom shelves, cleaning, organizing and freshening up the contents of books, baskets and photos. But as best-laid plans often do, this morning has been hijacked by my body and the stiffness and pain that comes on rainy days. Arthritis, fibromyalgia and the neurological aftereffects of the chiari/syringomyelia are all heightened by the moist, humid air and changing barometer. It is a morning to make lemonade out of lemons, praise out of the pain. I am reminded that the time I spend with the Lord and His Word has been sporadic at best. I am reminded that there is no better way than to spend my time reading His Word and reflecting on that which He has shared with me.  And so I have come now from that place of soaking up His Word, writing in my journal, and adding a few entries to my Eucharisteo, my journal of joyful thanksgiving based on the Book One Thousand Gifts, by Ann Voskamp, a must-read for anyone who lives and breathes.

If you are still with me, as I know this is rather long and perhaps out of character from my blog posts lately, I just wanted to share this, perhaps for my own recognition of how God works in my life, knowing fully what I need and how He desires to be in the moment with me, rather than me always making plans. He desires to be my priority, and He promises that when He is, everything else will fall into place.

The morning is almost past and the rain clouds linger, holding the rain to themselves for the moment with the look of promise for more yet today. The  soil and gardens have been refreshed, much as I have, too, have been refreshed by His Word and His presence. The book shelves can wait, and perhaps I will still tackle them today, but if I do not it is ok. There is a time for doing and a time for resting and healing. My soul has found rest in Him today. May it be the same for you.

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord,
“plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.
You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."
Jeremiah 29:11-13
 

 

4 comments:

Kit said...

Lovely post. :) Rainy over here too! We have so much rain yesterday I will not have to water for days. I love it too! You have a great weekend! Kit

NanaNor's said...

Hi Laurie, WE have had more rain than usual this spring and June as well-to be honest, I am ready for summer weather. Nice warm days, filled with time at our local pool with the grands. I always try to give thanks for all things in my life. I'm glad to connect with you again.
Blessings,
Noreen

Lin from A {tiny} Cottage In The Woods said...

Calm instead of chaos sounds good. It looks like I had toddler 'help' both inside the cottage and out, as I'm changing things up and hoping that one day it will all settle down again. :)

Lovely to hear from you again, Laurie. And although we do not share the same exact religious beliefs, we do end up pretty much in the same place. Knowing we do not control everything in our lives, and so very grateful for the guidance and help we receive.

Take care,
Lin

Barbara said...

Such a awesome post, we have too much rain here, and I had to quit singing the song I love, Send the Rain, I figured God must be thinking I was asking for him to send the rain, it rained for days on end, lol you have a blessed day.