Thursday, December 10, 2009

MRI Results

When I started this blog in July, it was to be used as a way to share with family and close friends about an upcoming brain surgery I was to have in August, along with everyday goings-on here at Nana's (and Grandpa's) house. Today, I am so pleased to report that the follow-up MRI I had today and surgeon appointment right after it showed that the cyst (syrinx) in my spinal cord (that had developed due to the Chiari Malformation) look as if it has gotten smaller, and the results of the surgery on my lower cerebellum area are very good. The cerebellum tonsils are no longer on bone and have a good amount of spinal fluid around them - praise God! While it is possible that the cyst may never totally disappear, I am greatly encouraged that it looks smaller. My symptoms seem to be about the same, but have not gotten any worse, so this is good news, also.

I thank my heavenly Father for these results, and for the symptoms I have that actually have drawn me closer to Him. Because of this Chiari Malformation and the resulting syrinx, MRIs are not easy for me. I am not claustrophobic, but lying down on my back for over 1 hour causes me to have a sensation that is hard to describe, but it makes me feel as if I may faint, and I can't move or we have to start all over again. They offer music to listen to, but I think it would clash with the sounds of the MRI, so I just try to focus on music to go with the rhythm of the scan, and God is faithful and brings songs of praise and scripture to help me through it. One of the best scriptures is "Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10 This helped me so much today when I wanted to move because of the sensation. The technicians were so very patient and after adjusting my knees on a higher pillow, I felt much better. I hope they know how much I appreciated their thoughtfulness.

This morning, I was reading Psalm 62, and it was a great comfort to me... "My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; He is my fortress, I will never be shaken." (verse 1-2) We all go through trials of a sort,and God offers to be our rest and comfort in all of them, and He alone is the fortress we can always go to; He will never leave us or forsake us. Perhaps these words were meant for you today, too. I hoped you are blessed by His Word today.

2 comments:

Jessie said...

I am so very glad to hear your new of your MRI and doctors appointment. I pray that you would continue to have good reports and that you do not have any worsening symptoms.

Maxine said...

Laurie, having just met you recently I was unaware of your health problems. Sounds as though the Lord has brought you through much already and it's good to read of your good results from your MRI. The Psalm 46 verse was perfect to reflect on. Wish they could have played "Be still My Soul" for you!