Thursday, January 7, 2010

Warming Up

Oooh, the house smells sooo good! I am planning a meal to take to friends; the wife is recuperating from surgery, and I well remember from my own experience how wonderful it is to not have to be concerned about meals. Our church has a meal chain and we take turns sharing meals. It seems to warm the hearts of both the givers and the receivers! I found a box of Pampered Chef Pizza Crust and Roll Mix in the cupboard. I mixed it up and the results are as good as they look and smell! (Yes, I've already tasted one!) The house is so chilly, I wasn't sure the rolls would rise well, but popping them in the warmed oven with a pan of hot water coaxed them along well. Having the mix on hand was a good motivator for me, but I do like to bake from scratch, although I don't make yeast breads very often, and these are a nice treat.
I am going to make a pan of Lazy Lasagna with ingredients I also have in the cupboard and refrigerator, as it is toooo cold to go to the store. Here is the recipe:

Lazy Lasagna
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 c. chopped onion
1 jar meatless spaghetti sauce
16 oz. carton of ricotta or cottage cheese
8 oz. (approx. 3 1/2 c.) any pasta, such as mostaccioli or ziti
2 c, shredded mozzarella cheese
2 T. Parmesan cheese

While the pasta is cooking, brown the ground beef and onion; add spaghetti sauce and ricotta cheese. Stir in the drained pasta and add it all to a 9x13 pan, top with the mozzerella. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Remove foil and sprinkle with the parmesan cheese and bake 5-10 minutes more.

No comments: