Friday, April 30, 2010

Bedtime Stories & Kisses

Our oldest grandchild, Jack, is 6 years old and in Kindergarten, and he has always loved to have stories read to him at bedtime. On my recent visit, I was thrilled to hear him read to me. He chose a favorite book - Green Eggs and Ham - and I am sharing a few photos I took while he read.

The Tiger is named Tigey, a good and faithful friend.


Jack uses many good reading hints to sound out words.
 I noticed this as a former Kindergarten teacher and proud Nana.


I love this cute little wave he so kindly gave me as I listened.

Jack and I have a little bedtime game we play that started long ago. He is a very deep sleeper, and so ever since he was a baby, I have gone into his room when he is sound asleep and planted a big kiss somewhere on his face, depending on which way he is facing. As he got older, I told him one day that I do this, (along with praying over him - such a blessing for me !) and he teasingly said he always knows when I kiss him when he is sleeping. So I challenged him to guess where I kissed him, and the game began. Every morning when I visit, he tries to guess where my kiss landed, and sometimes he comes quite close!

Soon, they will be living nearby, and our time with them will not be divided by many days and hundreds of miles. The day may come when he will not want his Nana kissing him in his sleep, but then, he IS a deep sleeper, so who knows??

I'll love you forever,
I'll like you for always,
As long as I'm living,
My grandchild you'll be.

(song I sing to each of our grandchildren, from the children's book, I'll Love You for Ever" by Robert Munsch - I use their names in place of grandchild)

4 comments:

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

As one grandmom to another, this post has so warmed my heart! What a dear boy he is and what a precious grandma he has!
Kindly, ldh

LisaShaw said...

Your grandson is so handsome! As a Grandma to two beautiful little girls I know the JOY that comes with having grand kids. Enjoy!!

Love and blessings.

Kit said...

What a wonderful tradition that is! I remember my late MIL had a little thing she did with my girls. She would have them stand in front of her and with her hand on their head would measure them to see if they had grown since they last saw her. They just adored this game and giggled when she would say they were as high as her chin, nose, etc.

Maxine said...

Oh, Laurie, I am so glad he'll be living closer now. That is a blessing from your heavenly father and I am very happy for you. He looks like such a sweet boy.