Saturday, June 26, 2010

Simple Joys Saturday




My previous post shared about the way our week began, with a tornado just 15 miles from us that hit Billings on Father's Day; a rare event that hasn't occured here for over 50 years. If you want to read about that, click here. The rest of the week was less weather related, and we enjoyed this last week with my mom here with us, and she and I spent a couple of days babysitting my grandchildren. Mom enjoys the kids, but the activity and noise wears her out, and I suspect she is looking forward to getting home soon, but we have had a wonderful visit with her. It is easy to see how she is affected by the Alzheimers, yet it amazes me how well she plays Jeopardy as we watch it on tv! We had lots of talks about flowers, how she and dad raised 5 kids on a farm, and a few other glimpses of her life now and long ago.

We will be driving Mom back, leaving on Sunday and meeting my sister and brother-in-law on Monday. Mom will then travel home with them. My husband and I will spend a couple of days visiting his dad and other family members and then we'll head back home; a quick but hopefully good trip. We would appreciate your prayers for a safe and peaceful trip, and for when the time comes to say good-bye to my mom and my husband's dad. We live several hundred miles away from each of them and our trips to their homes are only once or twice a year.

Lauren took Lucy, our golden retriever, for a bath at the Wash-a-Mutt, located at a nearby veterinary, so that she will smell good for our trip. She doesn't like the "trauma" of it all, but she came back smelling wondeful and we poured on the praise. She even poised for this photo with her tail wagging:



The wonderful rains and warm weather have really helped our flowers pop, so I leave you with just a few photos of June's blossoms. Have a good weekend and week, and a wonderful time worshipping our Lord, who has given us more than we could ever need or want.

The LORD reigns, let the earth be glad;
let the distant shores rejoice.
Psalm 97:1


4 comments:

Jan said...

Dear Laurie, thank you for sharing your family and garden.
Yes our Tilda has a bath for our trips too, but at home.
Love and Blessings and prayers for your trip this week, and the time you have with your Mom and family.
Hugs - Jan

Maxine said...

Just said a prayer for your trip and your goodbyes lest I forget. I think it's so very nice that you've had this time with your mom and that she could spend time with your grands. Bless her heart. I've heard so much about Alzheimers; it is really a tough disease. I'm sure your conversations with her were sweet and something you'll cherish in times to come. Ahh, this life has so many hard things.

Well have a good trip and Lucy looks just lovely! I wish we had one of those places around here; our Fro could sure use it.

Maxine said...

Laurie, if this is a repeat, please forgive me. I think I closed the comment window by mistake, I'm not sure. I did just say a prayer and I do wish you all a safe trip. I pray the goodbyes won't be too difficult. Im glad you had this time with your dear mom. Cherish all your times with her. So sorry you have to go through the Alzheimers thing. I've heard so much about it.

I also think Lucy looks lovely. I sure wish we had access to services like that. I'm going to check with our vet and try to talk them into starting up something like that. Our Fro needs a bath and we're not very up to it right now.

Cathy said...

Praying for traveling mercies, and for when you say goodbye ~ A cute picture of your dog and pretty flowers ~ Blessings ~