Thursday, August 13, 2009

It is what it is

"It is what it is" has been going over and over in my head lately, with a Biblical perspective. Tomorrow is surgery day, and I am very much at peace with it. God has heard the prayers of the Saints and He has given me "the peace that passes all understanding, in Christ Jesus" So no matter what, I am ready to go through with this. Lauren and I met with the surgeon yesterday, and he went over everything about the surgery, including the risks. While hearing that was sobering, it is not what I purpose to focus on, nor am I focusing on being a Pollyanna (who I loved, by the way) but to focus on what God has been teaching me throughout all of this. I do not intend to be preachy, but to instead just pass on what He gave me this morning, in the words of my Jesus: "Love each another as I have loved you." This is profound in itself, but what I really love is before He said this, He told us "As the Father has loved Me, so have I loved you. Now remain in My love. If you only obey My commands, You will remain in My love, just as I have obeyed My Father's commands and remain in His love. I have told you this so that My joy may be complete." John 15:10-12

I can't help but quote Dr. David Jeremiah again, for God has been using his writings for me lately. He says, "The center of joy for the Christian is Christ. The joy is Christ's joy. It is simply the life of the Lord Jesus Christ being lived out in an individual. Christian joy is letting Christ live his life through you so that what He is, you become." When I was saved, God gave me this truth in Philippians 1:6; He who began a good work in you, will be faithful to complete it until the day of Christ Jesus. I am far from complete, but my job here on earth is to obey His teachings and love others as he loves them, and He takes care of the rest. My joy cannot come from my circumstances, but from the joy that is in Christ Jesus.

I write all of this to process it myself, and if it gives you insight, then He is doubly blessed. We may make plans for our lives, but God is ultimately in control and He alone is sovereign, so I say "It is what it is" because I give this surgery and recovery to Him; I have no expectations except that which is in His hands. I certainly hope to feel better eventually, and I know there will be way too many days when I complain about it all, but it is still in his hands. (As the boy's father in the Book of Mark said, "I believe; help me in my unbelief!"

That all said, thank you for all of your prayers. I can't tell you how much they mean to me. Maya and Sara came by this morning and I was so happy to be able to lift her up, since I won't be able to do that for awhile. But I told Sara that when I am home I will teach Maya how to climb up on the sofa! Oh yes, I showed Lauren how to update the blog, so I know he will give it a try when he gets a chance. Sara took a "before" picture so we'll put that on w/ an "after" picture eventually.

P.S. I have to be at the hospital at 5:45 a.m. Friday and surgery will be around 7:30, lasting about 2 1/2 hours. I will be in ICU overnight and then in a room, hopefully being able to go home Monday.
P.P.S. Aunt Sandy, "thank you to you" and your Bible study ladies for the card and prayers!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My church prayed for you Tuesday. I prayed for you yesterday, and I will continue to pray. Your faith is a beacon to all of us. God is the great Physician. Love, Aunt Sandy

Anonymous said...

Been thinking about you all day today, Laurie. I know God hears our voices, and He answers our prayers. I pray that you've had a successful surgery, have an easy night in ICU, and a quick recovery.
Aunt Sandy